Vacancy - Deputy Research Director
Feb. 22, 2019
TERM OF REFERENCE
DEPUTY RESEARCH DIRECTOR (Hanoi, Vietnam)
Position: Deputy Research Director
Location: SCDI Office, 240 Mai Anh Tuan, Ba Dinh, Hanoi
Working time: Fulltime
Report to: Executive Director
Established in January 2010, the Center for Supporting Community Development Initiatives (SCDI) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization registered under the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations.
SCDI deeply believes that each individual and community has great hidden potential, which can be used not only to tackle their own problems, but also to contribute to the development of the society. Through the approach of empowerment together with policy advocacy, SCDI aims to create motivation and an environment for these potentials to be realized in favor of positive goals.
Since the establishment, SCDI has been working with populations affected by HIV: people who use drugs (PUDs), sex workers (SWs), men who have sex with men (MSM), transgender people (TG), people living with HIV (PLHIV) and their partners. The SCDI programme has recently expanded to work with the identification of malaria and TB. Thus, SCDI works to empower marginalised population, supporting xx community based organisations whose peer educators work in the community to achieve their mission. SCDI is unique in Viet Nam in channelling funds and working to develop the capacity of local community groups to solve their own problems and to provide crucial health information and support to their peers
SCDI is funded by numeours donors, including the Global Fund for HIV, TB and malaria, the European Union, the HIV/AIDS Alliance and others. It currently implemets some 24 projects.
We are seeking qualified applicant for the position of Deputy Research Director based in Hanoi.
The Deputy Research Director will work directly under the supervision of SCDI”s Executive Director and will be accountable to SCDI’s Board of Directors. Research projects will undergo an approval process ensuring that ethical guidelines and confidentiality of clients are guaranteed.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiate and oversee research work; recruit and supervise researchers; commission and oversee policy work; identify potential collaborators (other NGOs, universities, etc.); advise the Executive Director on research strategies and approaches.
- Produce high quality reports, papers and articles of a publishable standard based on the analysis of data and literature with a clear and engaging writing style.
- Work independently and autonomously on a number of research and policy projects simultaneously, as required.
- Analyze quantitative data using robust methods, and interpret, describe and publish findings.
- Comprehensively review and analyze academic literature based on methodical and replicable search strategies.
- Present papers based on policy and research work to policy-makers, academics and other audiences including the media, as required.
- As appropriate, aid in the collection of primary quantitative and qualitative data.
- Work with other members of other team as required.
- Undertake continuous personal and professional development which contributes to knowledge and skills within the subject area.
Knowledge and skills required
- Extensive research experience, both academic and community based.
- At least 3 years experience at the same position or in the same field
- Proven record of research design capacity, analysis and reporting.
- Experience working in SE Asia (preferably, but not exclusively, in Viet Nam)
- Capacity and flexibility to work with diverse populations.
- Proven capacity to engage in challenging field work.
- Master’s degree in the related field (minimum)
- Willing to travel to project provinces
- No stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV, drug users and other vulnerable groups.
Salary and compensation:
- Salary is negotiable and commensurate with capacity and experience.
- The research director position is for an initial period of one year.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a CV (maximum 2 pages) via email to: email@example.com
Application deadline: 27 February 2019. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
SCDI offers equal employment opportunity for all applicants, irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity and religion. SCDI encourages members of vulnerable communities with suitable capacity to apply for position at SCDI.
Please check in our website: www.scdi.org.vnfor more information about the organization.