Strengthen the development of self-help groups of drug users
Ngày 21 tháng 10 năm 2018
|Project name||Technical assistance, capacity building and small grants to self-help groups of drug users in Hanoi, Hai Phong and Ho Chi Minh City|
|Sponsor||OSF (Open Society Foundation)|
|Time||6/2011 - 7/2012|
The purpose of the project
Enhance the development of self-help groups of drug users to provide support services, changes in policy and practice to improve the quality of life for drug users in Vietnam. Community-based interventions include raising awareness on prevention of overdose/shock by Naloxone, implementing the pilot to support community-based drug detoxification, training in skills to save overdose and other useful services that drug users need.
- Supporting the development of self-help organizations of five groups of drug users in Hanoi, Hai Phong, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Improving the living conditions of drug users in these cities.
- Raising awareness about the prevention of overdose and drug users’ response in the communities.
- Carrying out the pilot community-based detoxification at Gach dau dong group.
- Continuing relapse prevention programs for drug users in general and focusing on those who returned from 06 center and community-based detoxification.
Organizing community activities and group discussions, giving gifts to children of the members of the groups, creating jobs for members are some regular activities of the five groups participating in the project.
Location: Hanoi, Hai Phong, Ho Chi Minh City
- These 5 groups have organized over 30 meetings with themes including hepatitis, overdose and responses.
- The number of members in these 5 groups has increased to nearly 800
- Rescued 32 overdose cases
- Introduced clients to community-based rehabilitation services
- Helped 50 people find employment; the groups made 86 employment referrals.
- Gach dau dong group, with its pilot community-based detoxification, has supported 25 people’s detox at the group. However, the pilot was stopped because it was insufficient to meet the conditions and no guidelines for implementation were drawn up.
- 3 members of Gach dau dong were introduced to methadone treatment.
Introductory article about Friendship Arm, one of the five groups involved in the project.